Can you power wash composite wood decking?
You have probably cleaned your outdoor living space in a number of ways. You might already know that a power washer makes it easy and quick to clean outdoor areas. Power washers are good for cleaning brick walls and stone sidewalks. But can you wash a composite wood decking with a power washer?
Can a pressure washer use to wash a composite wood decking?
Since it is a composite deck that looks like wood, it doesn’t need as much maintenance as a real wood floor. But every so often we do need to clean the deck outside. We can enjoy life more when our living space is clean and comfortable, don’t you think?
Cleaning composite decking well is also a more difficult job. But we need to keep the composite decking clean if we want to use it for a long time. If you want an easy and quick way to do it, you might want to use power washing. So, can we clean the composite deck with a power washer?
Yes, power washing can use on composite decking. When power wash composite wood decking, you should pay attention to the following four things.
Power-washing a composite deck with care
So that the power washer doesn’t hurt your outdoor deck and so you can clean your composite deck better. Please remember the four points below.
1. Use a wide nozzle when you use a power washer. Also, keep the nozzle about 6 inches from the surface of the deck. This should be enough to clean the composite decking without hurting it.
2. Don’t use more than 1500psi when you use a power washer. If the pressure is too high, it could damage the surface of the deck. Some companies can use pressures that are higher than 1500 psi. But check with the company that made it before you use it.
3. Spray the deck with soapy water before using the power washer, and then scrub each deck gently with a soft bristle brush. Lastly, use water so that dirty water doesn’t stay on the deck boards after you clean them and form a film.
4. Cleaning must be done piece by piece, going with the grain of the decking. This can make it less likely that the composite material will get scratched. It also lets the composite deck be cleaned better.
So, if you’re going to use a power washer, make sure to take all the necessary safety steps. Don’t do anything to damage your composite decking.
There are other ways to clean a composite wood decking
If you don’t want to use a power washer to clean your composite deck, you can try cleaning your garden floor the old-fashioned way. The old way of cleaning composite decking may take longer, but it is also safer. Follow these steps to clean a composite deck.
1. Take out all of the furniture, decorations, and extras. If you do this, you will be able to clean your whole outdoor deck.
2. Use a broom to remove dirt and other things from the deck. Even the tiniest cracks need to be cleaned. You can also use a vacuum cleaner to clean the surface of the deck.
3. Get soap and warm water ready. Rinse the composite deck with water first, and then wash it with water that has soap in it. This will help get rid of any dirt and junk that is still there.
You can also use vinegar or baking soda instead of soapy water. But don’t use chlorine bleach or other chemicals that can hurt the environment.
4. Scrub your deck gently with a soft-bristled brush to get rid of all the dirt. Be sure to clean the wood with the grain. If you have a big outdoor deck, you can split it up into different sections. Don’t let dirty water sit on your deck and make a film on its surface.
5. Use a lot of water to clean your deck well. Then, wait until the deck’s surface is dry before putting your furniture and decorations back. Also, you can clean them while you’re waiting.
3 Things you shouldn’t do when cleaning a composite deck
Unlike wood decking, composite deck boards don’t need to be cared for and fixed up as often. But that doesn’t mean you don’t need to clean the deck of dirt and oil stains. Also, just because composite decking is easy to clean doesn’t mean you can clean it as often as you want. Here are some things you shouldn’t do when cleaning a composite deck. letting you clean your composite deck better without hurting the surface of the deck.
When you use the wrong cleaner
Using the wrong cleaner on your deck can hurt it. Check the label of any cleaner you buy, and never use a “deck cleaner” that contains chlorine bleach. Bleach with chlorine is very corrosive, and it can hurt the surface of your deck. In the end, it will change the color of your deck and make any mold or mildew problems worse. So, stay away from chlorine bleach and choose a sodium carbonate cleaner instead.
Not cleaning seams on the deck
Even though composite decking can help keep mold and mildew from growing. if you don’t clean the seams of the deck well when you clean your composite deck, it won’t look as good as it could. Then
Dirt and trash will build up over time. Then mold and mildew will start to grow in the seams of the deck. So, you should clean the gaps between your composite decks at least once a year. This will help the airflow between the decks and keep the bottom dry.
Not having the right tools
When you clean a composite deck, you need to be more careful. A broom or garden hose can be used to clean up dirt and other things. Always use a soft bristle brush to clean more deeply. Choose a plastic shovel instead of a metal one to remove snow.
Composite decking not only makes your home more valuable but also makes it look better. It’s important to know how to keep your composite decking in good shape.